Thursday, February 12, 2009

Update on the Hand Situation

I'm happy to say that my hand is improving. It has been almost 5 months since the nerve problem began, but finally, with some prescribed anti-inflammatory medication, a physical therapist and some chiropractic help, it is 90% better. The pain in the arm is gone, and some numbness remains in my fingers. At least I can play again!

One of the biggest tasks now is to regain my strength in my right arm. My triceps and forearm muscles have atrophied quite a bit. To give you an idea of how much, I can still easily press up a 20-30 lb. dumbell with my left triceps, but barely 8 lbs. with my right. This muscle will regenerate, however, so I'm not at all worried about that. But it does stay sore a lot. I won't bore you with details.

I haven't traveled or played concerts since this began, so this is the first touring I've done. I was nervous about it at first, but, as the symptoms started to shift, I gradually felt better about taking care of the problem while on the road. It's easy at home; I have all my little traction machine at home (thanks, Greg!), and have access to my therapist and chiropractor. But I've rigged up a travel traction device with a rope and towel, and hang it from a doorknob in the hotel room. This looks odd when I'm doing this, to say the least, and I triple check that the shades are drawn and the door latched before I begin. I can't imagine what a maid would think if she were to walk in and see me lying on the floor with my head in a sling.

I promise I'll do my best to keep this blog more up-to-date while I'm on the road. Lot's of great things to report!

No comments: